The Woodmere Volunteer Fire Department is Looking for You!
For more information:
Call us: (516) 821-3600
Email us: email@example.com
Or stop by: 20 Irving Place Woodmere, NY 11598
Be part of one of the most progressive volunteer emergency response organization on Long Island.
All training is provided and the benefits are awesome.
Getting started with the Woodmere FD is easy.
General Membership requirements:
- Firefighters: 18 to 45 years of age
- EMS personnel: 18 to 50 years of age
- You must be in good general health
- You must be a US Citizen
- You must reside within the boundary of the Woodmere Fire District or surrounding areas.
- No pre-requisite training required for new members. We provide all training.
- Complete application to include full criminal background check for arson as mandated by New York State as well as OSHA and NFPA mandated physical exam conducted at no charge.
- Attendance at monthly meetings, fire and/or EMS schools, training, and special events are required. Minimum percentages vary based on years of service. All training is conducted weekday evenings or Sunday mornings.
What we do:
Engine Companies: Their job is ultimately to extinguish the fire. The Engine Company will connect to a hydrant, stretch hose line, and attack the fire. Aside from fire calls, Engine Companies also respond to auto accidents, fuel spills, wires downs, gas emergencies, and so on.
Ladder Companies: Their job at a fire is to search and rescue for any persons trapped; confining the fire; forcing doors to assist the Engine in getting to the fire room; as well as opening the roof, and/or windows to vent and remove heat for the inside teams, while controlling fire spread. Ladder Companies will also be called upon for auto accidents, as well as wires down, Carbon Monoxide emergencies, Gas emergencies, and so on.
Rescue Companies: Their job is to treat and transport all patients to the hospital. In addition to medical emergencies, they will also respond to auto accidents and fires.
General Membership Benefits:
- The WFD provides an incredible atmosphere with state-of-the-art apparatus and equipment and the benefits that come with being part of the WFD team.
- Free Training: Hands on training at no cost gaining valuable experience in emergency services – You will be schooled at the best fire and emergency medical academies such as the Nassau County Fire Service Academy and the Nassau County EMS Academy using the most advanced hands-on techniques. Many of these required classes are transferable for college credits towards a degree through the SUNY-Empire State College.
- Receive money for college tuition: Under recently passed legislation, college age students are eligible for up to $3500 towards college tuition if confirmed as an active volunteer in the fire department.
- Retirement: Length of Service Award Program (LOSAP) – Pension program.
- Tax Breaks: 10% property tax break, personal income tax credit
- Team: A great sense of community and serving a good cause
- Incentives: Free uniforms, free gym membership, discounts nationwide
- Leadership: Opportunities for advancement and responsibility on both the operational and administrative side of the Wooodmere F.D.
- Family: Comradery and lifelong friendships – Make friends you will keep for life.
- Fitness: Fitness equipment use including treadmill and weight center at a local gym
- Future/Career advancement: Many employers hire from the volunteer service. Looks great on resumes.
- Organizations: Join local & national fraternal and firematic organizations.
For more information:
Call us: (516) 821-3600 / Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Stop by: 20 Irving Place Woodmere, NY 11598
Or fill out the form below and someone will get back to you.